Saturday, September 4, 2010

Bonjour! Je suis Diop.

Last night I moved in wtih my host family. There last name is Diop, which is pronounced j-yop in Wolof. I have a room of my own, which is nice and a rather large family. The house is a grand-maison which houses 3 genereations of family. The ages are from 50 to 4. The youngest is a little girl named Haditikah, who was bouncy and full of life today.

Yesterday afternoon we visited a Village of Artists. The idea of a place where artists can live in a community and work sounds fascinating to me. the types of art varied from brass sculpture to glass painting to batik (cloth painting). It was very interesting to listen to what inspired them and how they do their work.  One artist showed us a painting that had several male and female figures in many shades of brown. Each person had a different object, like masks, bowls, or instruments. The artist said he wanted to show Africa's diversity but how it had the same united voice. Yesterday morning we also saw an ensemble of African instrumentalists sing and play. I took some videos, but it is difficult right now because my camera won't work with my camera. But soon there will be pictures as I figure out how to get it work.

Now I must go. I just got an orange phone, and I need to gather numbers. I am a little hot and a little tired but quite ready for the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment