Thursday, September 9, 2010

Ndank ndank mooy jap golo ci nay.

The title of this blog is a Wolof proverb that translates to "Slowly, slowly one catches a monkey in the forest." It is a reminder of how much patience you need to get through the trials of life. It shows the sense  of humor that lies at the heart of the Wolof culture. What does a  monkey actually have to do with patience?

Yesterday was the first day that I felt I was able to communicate with a sense of confidence in French. Even though it is still difficult for people to comprehend me (and vice versa), I know it has improved. Just like today someone showed me a way to upload my pictures. Ndank, ndank.

Exploring the realms of conversation with my family, I was able to piece together that Korite is going to fall on either Friday or Saturday based on the lunar cycle (my guess will be Saturday). Korite is a very important day to the Islamic population of Senegal because it marks the end of a month of fasting and prayer for Ramadan. My sister-in-law told me that everyone dresses in new clothes and eats three big meals on that day.

Ndank, ndank. Those with patience and who work hard reap many benefits. Mooy jap golo ci nay. And maybe one day, you will catch the monkey in the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment