Monday, September 6, 2010

The Practical Idealist

On my first day of real classes, I had a day filled with thought, music, and Wolof. Awakened this morning again by chanting from the mosque at a quarter 'til five, I knew it was going to be a good day when I had a difficult time returning to sleep. But, I was also eager to get to school to attend my first anthropology class.


During anthropology, we discussed the term "culture shock." The term was first introduced to me a few years ago by a good friend and professor to me, and it was the commencement of my travels to Africa. My anthroplogy teacher advocated that we reframe the term culture shock to cultural learning. This framework will allow us to use our "shocks" as learning experiences.

My anthropology teacher also made the statement that she felt that our entire group was on the road to bigger and better things that we could ever have imagined for our lives. She suggested the book Practical idealists believe that linking their personal values and passions with social change you will be able to build necessary skills to bring change. Idealism is what drove me here to Senegal, but practicallity is the tool that will carry me through my learning experiences here.

So if I am a practical idealist then I will leave you with my favorite Randy Paush quote, which I feel is applicable to this situation. "It's not about how to achieve your dreams. It's about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you."

No comments:

Post a Comment