Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Birds are Chirping in Saint-Louis

Last Wednesday (ok, it's over a week ago now) we stayed in Saint-Louis, which was the first colonial capital of French West Africa. It remained Senegal's capital until it was moved to Dakar in 1957. Saint-Louis is right on the Senegal River, and the city was lined with beautiful colonial architecture. The river was also lined with some of the most beautifully painted boats.




Thursday we had a group project that we had to complete. The project split us up into groups to research different historical sites around Saint-Louis. Our project took my group to the oldest Catholic church in West Africa, le Cathedrale de Saint-Louis. It had a beautiful interior, even though it was only very simple. The thing I will remember most was the sound of the singing birds inside the cathedral.
This was the view of the Church looking down from the choir loft.




My favorite part of our entire trip was the hotel in which we stayed. We ate acrossed acrossed the street on a dreamy patio overlooking the water. But more importantly, when you would open your room door, you were looking out in a tree. And in the morning, the tree would fill with birds singing their lovely morning song. What a great thing to wake up to!



Even though Saint-Louis had beautifully painted ships, it also was a good remider of the paradox that exists in Senegal. In Saint-Louis, the Senegal River acted as a natural border seperating the affluence and destitution. This is a common thing I see even in Dakar on a daily basis; the people difference between those who have cars and large houses and those who drive a horse-hitched trailer or a person whom I met that sells "Cafe Touba" to support their household.I am not going to lie; I live a very privileged lifestyle here in Dakar (I have wifi, my own room and bed, a fan). Sometimes I feel guilty for having access to such privileges when most Senegalese don't. But, then I remember I still have a little over two months here, and I still have time to get to know the people and be friends with the average Senegalese.

No comments:

Post a Comment