Monday, October 25, 2010

Home Sweet Home

I arrived home late Saturday safe and sound from a nine day long excursion in the south eastern region of Senegal known as Kedougou. It was the last long excursion I will be taking before the end of the program. Now I hope I will finally have the time to explore Dakar as well as catch you up on the last few weeks of my life!

Friday Oct 8 (a week before we left for Keougou) we visited the market in HLM with our French professors. Who knew that shopping could be considered class? Anyways, the goal of the exercise was to successfully purchase fabric and design a dress to be made by a tailor To me HLM seemed the market of every Senegalese woman's dreams. It was lined with many vendors with every fabric color or texture you could imagine!


After successfully purchasing our fabric, it was off to the tailor! Little did I know we would be visiting the tailor at my own house! We arrived in Sicap Baobab just as my sister Meissa was making a third batch of beignets (doughnuts)! It was wonderful to snack on beignets as we drew our designs and were measured for our dresses. Since I was overwhelmed with designing and consuming the delicious beignets, I forgot to take a picture of being measured. So instead, I will have to provide you with a picture of two of my professors! :)


And just because I am really excited about it, I will repost the picture of my dress. The day I wore it to school, I was often gawked at because it's not very often you see a Toubab in a full-length African dress with matching fulloir.



No comments:

Post a Comment