Sunday, October 10, 2010

Current Affiars in Dakar

Here is a summary of the current affairs in Dakar as of this weekend. Abdoulaye Wade the president recently appointed his son Karim to be the new minister of energy last week, and has recently called for an emergency audit of Senelec (unpopular company here who causes many power cuts). Senegal beat Mauritus 8-0 Saturday night in a qualifying match for the African cup. The match was here in Dakar, and I saw Mauritus's team get off the plane in the news on Friday. Another story that the president is honoring a promise he made to the Haitian government by welcoming 160 students to Senegal to study. good for Senegal or a political ploy? I have heard Wade called the man of big projects- spends a lot of money while not looking out for the people...and Youssou NDour is playing at the Institute Francais this Thursday and Friday. This was a debate over the communal bowl yesterday; is this really what Senegal needs or another grandiose ploy to show off the uppercrusts of Senegal  to the world rather than what is being discussed in the street?

Sorry I made this post more about current happenings in Dakar rather than what's going on in my life. I went to a market on Friday to buy some fabric, and I am having a dress made. The best part is that it is my African mom, Amy Diop, who is making it. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment