Thursday, November 25, 2010

The Best Day

I apologize for another small pause in my writing. The last two days have gone by quickly. The countdown is on for the Black World Festival here in Senegal, which unfortunately begins 12 hours before I fly out of Dakar. But they have a countdown on the front of each paper. Yesterday was J-16 (j is the first letter of jour, meaning "day"). This means there are only 16 days left in Senegal. Crazy.


Tuesday was one of the best days I had in a long time. I woke up early to go with Gaby to an elementary school where he teaches 2 to 6 year olds. It was the first time I was in the classroom in at least a year. I gave a short presentation to the children about my trumpet, and then Gaby surprised me by telling me I was going to play two short songs. I had only planned one, so I was improvising the other. Anyone who knows me as a trumpet player knows I have never really been an improviser. Even though the second song wasn't really a standard, the children loved it! This experience definitely solidified my confidence in wanting to return to the classroom as an ethno-educator.

Yesterday most of the day was spent shopping and cooking. I am proud to say that even though there are no pumpkin or turkeys in Senegal, we will be cooking a proud American feast today for Thanksgiving. Maybe if you're lucky, I will have time tonight to put up some pictures of the fete. So here's a "Happy Thanksgiving!" greeting from across the ocean!

No comments:

Post a Comment