Thursday, November 18, 2010

The Ethno-Edcuator

Right now we are in the middle of the ISP period. "ISP" stands for independent study project. For four weeks we develop our own research projects to investigate something of our choosing. I began November by taking balafon lessons with music teacher and ethnomusicologist Gaby Ba. Along with taking lessons, I have been reading a lot about the connections between ethnomusicology and music education.

As an ethnomusicologist, I am studying music here to better understand how people relate and react to music in West Africa. Through taking balafon lessons, I am learning African musical traditons (rhythm, dance, and instruments) by actively participating and learning it is transmitted. There is a famous quote by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow that states that music is a universal language; however, I have found (through learning and reading) that every culture has different ideas about what music is and how it should be used. To quote Bruno Nettl (a famous ethnomusicologist), "And as each culture undergoes modernization, it takes what it wishes or needs from other musics with which it has had contact, combining, synthesizing, fusing, and all of this is its new authenticity." Basically, in the 21st century, music is a mixture of every other culture's music. I can see that with just my short time here in Senegal. American music is everywhere literally.

But what is an ethno-educator then exactly? To me this is what I want to be. An ethno-educator is one that takes time to learn a culture in its tradition as an ethnomusicologist and then educates others of their musical traditions (whether it being singing or instrumental). I think this is especially relevant with children, who appreciate active learning. Who wouldn't love an elementary classroom filled with singing and dancing little ones? By sharing this rich musical culture with children, I hope that one day change how Africa is viewed by the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment